Artie the Beagle and I have a pact: We don’t tell each other what to wear. That being said, I am bummed that there is no dog in costume running around the house this Halloween. But Artie chooses nakedness over costume every single time.
Halloween is my favorite. The holiday happens just as the Phoenix weather has chilled somewhat. It involves no gift giving and it provides a chance to let your secret self shine through, whether you are a closet gore-master or wanna-be fairy princess. It’s just your chance to be someone completely different for at least a night.
Maybe we get Halloween costumes for our dogs’ so we can see their other personalities come out to play. Costume stores say their sales of dog costumes are doubling every year. Hmmm, which came first – the incredibly cute costumes or the demand for incredibly cute dog costumes – hard to say. But there are some great ones out there:
I especially love this one. It’s a nice take on Artie’s relationship with the neighborhood’s UPS driver.
Halloween Dog Costume Contests/Events
And where to go once you have selected the perfect costume. The metro Phoenix weather is perfect now for nighttime events. Here’s a list of terrific Halloween spots for you and the dog that offer canines costume contests and prizes for their humans:
- Oct. 21 – Halloween Spooktacular & Car Show The Shops at Nortierra , 2460 W. Happy Valley Road, Phoenix 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Oct. 22 — Beagles, Brews and Boo Spokes on Southern, 1470 E. Southern, Tempe, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Oct. 26 – Howl-o-ween at W, 7277 E. Camleback, Scottsdale, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 26 – Howl-o-ween at Omni Montelucia 4949 E. Lincoln Drive, Scottsdale 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Oct. 26 — Scottsdale Fall Festival: 2311 N. Miller Road, Canine costume at 8:35 p.m.
- Oct. 29 — Howl-o-ween K9 Costume Contest, 1035 N. Idaho Road, Apache Junction, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 29 — Yappy Hour Halloween Costume Party: Desoto Market, 915 N. Central, Phoenix 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Oct. 30 — Halloweenie, Short Leash Hot Dogs, 110 E. Roosevelt, Phoenix, Noon to 2 p.m.
- Oct. 30 – Bark-o-ween, Arcadia O.H.S.O. Eatery + Nano-Brewery, 4900 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Oct. 30 — Howl-o-wee Bash Smelly Dog, 5033 N. 7th Ave., Phoenix, 3 p.m.
- Oct. 31 Halloween in the Hills Avenue of the Fountains, Fountain Hills, Contest begins at 5:45 p.m.