Ah, the Chihuahua, such a misunderstood dog. Yappy, snappy, reminds us of a bad boss with a Napoleonic complex.
And to be completely honest, I have not always appreciated Chihuahuas.
But in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo and all things Mexican, let’s look at ten really good reasons to love a Chihuahua:
- They are built for speed. Check out Chandler’s annual Chihuahua races.
- They are built for desert climates. They love being warm and burrowing under covers and sleeping flush up against you.
- If you buy one big ol’ bag of dog food, it can last a year if you have a Chihuahua.
- At two to six pounds, the Chihuahua is the smallest breed in the world. You have no upper body strength? No problem. You can still carry your Chihuahua around.
- Learning how to spell Chihuahua correctly boosts your IQ.
- Chihuahuas are one of the oldest registered breeds in America; they were recognized in 1904.
- Chihuahuas, or dogs just like them, are believed to date back to 5th century AD. They were bred as the forerunner of the doorbell.
- They seem to be OK with wearing funny hats.
- What we see as incredible unfriendliness bordering on psychosis is just a Chihuahua protecting their person.
- Just like with any other dog, a Chihuahua’s behavior depends on how he was raised and the experiences he has encountered.